8 September 2008
AIC EATING OUT PROJECT
The Eating Out Project was set up because the Italian Celiac Association needed to create a chain of venues informed about celiac disease which would be able to offer a service suitable for the dietary requirements of celiacs.
The Project regards:
Restaurants/Pizza restaurants/Hotel restaurants
(in italian: Ristoranti e Pizzerie)
Ice-cream parlours (in Italian: Gelaterie)
Bed and Breakfasts
In order to become a member of the chain the venue must have satisfied the following requirements:
- Participated at a Basic Course organized by the AIC on coeliac disease and the gluten-free diet
- Completed their training with subsequent meetings/courses supervised by their Regional AIC branch
- Receive up-to-date AIC information material
- Allow periodic check-ups by their Regional AIC branch
- Use products that are approved by the Italian Ministry of Health, listed in the National Register of Gluten-Free Food of the Ministry of Health and/or products present in the AIC Food and Drink Handbook – latest edition
- Guarantee that NO contamination with gluten takes place from the preparation process through to the moment the food is served at the table
- Guarantee that NO contamination with gluten takes place from the preparation process through to the moment that the breakfast is served in a Bed and Breakfast establishmentThe Team of AIC Tutors monitors the venues of the chain carrying out inspections and offering the necessary cooperation, but it must be understood that the venue is exclusively responsible for the food it serves.It is in any case advisable for the celiac to be vigilant at all times when eating in the venues informed by the AIC Eating Out Project.
- Always book ahead, asking to speak to the person indicated beside the name of the venue on the list
- Do not rely directly on the staff serving at your table, but always ask for the person indicated on the list
- Always identify yourself as a celiac before ordering
- Always ask what type of “permitted” products are used
- Always be vigilant in any case
For any problem encountered please provide us with a detailed report by fax or e-mail at the following fax numbers/addresses:
The AIC Regional Secretariat of the area where the event occurred (the fax numbers and addresses are published in Celiachia Notizie and on our website www.celiachia.it)
Segreteria Nazionale AIC Alimentazione Fuori Casa (National AIC Eating Out Secretariat) - fax 0883.527513 - e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject heading “segnalazione - inosservanza” (reporting a problem).
Any problems reported must be sent within a month of the moment you encountered it, indicating precisely the name of the venue, the place (ie town or city and region) and the date. We cannot deal with anonymous reports.